The life of...

The Life of......Momma Duck, Papa Duke, Baby Goose and Baby Elf

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Adventures in Preschool

So it may not sound like much, but the task of preschool and keeping a almost 3 year old entertained for a day, and day after day...well its daunting at times. Sometimes they are easy to entertain while other times there is no attention span to speak of. Yet it is exciting to see them learn and grasp topics. I felt we had a head start, she knows all her shapes and colors, she can count to 20 (sometimes 25 depending on the day), she knows how to spell her name and she can color in the lines!

Today wasn't easy tho, no TV, music time, and lots of play. After a long 3 day weekend with daddy and WAY too much TV time, my child wanted nothing to do with anything, except beg to watch Dora. I would get her attention for a max of 3 minutes and the begging and whining would begin again. Yet with diligence and a smile we would move onto something else. We began with "A" today, not because its the first letter of the alphabet, its an easy one to write. Posted her art of "A" on the wall to reference during the day. We worked on flash cards, which she actually loved, played with the duckies, did puzzles, painted, colored. Tried to dance. Played baby, played in the tunnel, played. All in between each step whining and complaining about wanting to watch Dora. I asked her several times today if she was having fun, and a big smile would go across her face and she was say yes. I'd ask her why she needed to whine if she was having so much fun...who knows.

It was a trying day. I feel exhausted. I was whined at all day, I was bargained with, and had manipulation attempts tried on me. However, we made it through our first day of preschool with organized learning activities. I didn't come into today expecting her to sit down for long spells, didn't expect her to instantly learn everything I presented her today. No, I came in hoping she would get something out of it and would have fun. Did I expect all the whining, no. And I am disappointed that she felt that need to do that, however, I am proud of her. She learned, we made it through day one of preschool!

And onto day two...after hopefully a good nights sleep! But that is a whole different story!

No comments:

Post a Comment